See photos (4)

CHAPELLE NOTRE-DAME DE NAZARETH

Religious building at Saint-Chinian
Opening hours and services not guaranteed
  • It was the monks of Saint-Benedict who built a chapel on the current site when they came to Holotian and founded the Saint Anian abbey in 826. If legend is to be believed, it was the result of a miracle.
    Already mentioned in 1102 in the charter of Bertrand, archbishop of Narbonne, the chapel was destroyed several times but rebuilt again each time. In 1613 Pope Paul V even granted clemency to the pilgrims who came to pray at Notre Dame.
    For almost a century and a half one hermit succeeded...
    It was the monks of Saint-Benedict who built a chapel on the current site when they came to Holotian and founded the Saint Anian abbey in 826. If legend is to be believed, it was the result of a miracle.
    Already mentioned in 1102 in the charter of Bertrand, archbishop of Narbonne, the chapel was destroyed several times but rebuilt again each time. In 1613 Pope Paul V even granted clemency to the pilgrims who came to pray at Notre Dame.
    For almost a century and a half one hermit succeeded another, contributing to the protection of the sanctuary.
    During the Revolution the chapel became the property of the state, before an agreement was reached to sell it to Mr Salvagnac in 1795. He subsequently returned it to the parish in 1813 because of pressure from local residents.
  • Spoken languages
Openings
Opening hours and services not guaranteed
Openings
  • All year